The flag features a green field with the inscription "Irish Republic" written in white and yellow (gold) letters in the form of gaelic script.
On April 24th, 2016, a flag with the inscription "Irish Republic" was hoisted alongside the tricolour over the General Post Office in Dublin where it remained during the 1916 Easter Rising as a proclamation of the Irish Republic. It survived the bombardment and the fire which destroyed the G.P.O and was eventually removed by the troops after the insurgents' surrender, either on Sunday 30th of April or on the following day. A photograph taken at the time shows a group of soldiers holding it upside down at the base of Parnell monument in O'Connell Street. Thereafter, it was placed in the Imperial War Museum, London. It was presented by th British goverment on the fifthieth anniversary of the rising in 1916